Hardly four months have passed since the launch of Olympus's first Micro Four-Thirds camera and they have already released the next Micro Four-Thirds camera Olympus E-P2. But there is hardly anything different from the original E-P1, so its not actually the next Micro Four-Thirds camera. Rather its just a minor upgrade. But its still a Olympus Pen so it still maintains its retro charm. Also the E-P2 includes an electronic viewfinder. Olympus has announced two of its upcoming Micro Four-Thirds lenses M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 (Wideangle) and M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6 (Superzoom) which will be available in the first half of 2010 and a road-map of future Micro Four-Thirds lenses. Here are the full details.
Hamburg, 5 November 2009 – Welcome to dimension PEN, where form and function unite to deliver the power and performance of an SLR with the ease and spontaneity of a compact. This latest retro-chic digital Olympus PEN builds on EISA’s 2009/2010 “Best Camera of the Year”, an icon of style and quality. To enrich photographic potential, the new E-P2 includes an accessory port to clip on the electronic viewfinder or other accessories. It also enlivens creative impulses through two additional Art Filters and supplements ease of use with further innovative options. Cloaked in classic black, the hybrid photo and HD movie Olympus PEN boldly brings fun and simplicity back in SLR quality. It’s a legend in the making – and available from January 2010 for €949 including the electronic viewfinder.
Building on brilliance
The new generation of PEN (E-P2) boasts an enviable pedigree. It comes hot on the heels of Olympus’ award-winning first Micro Four Thirds System camera inspired by the revolutionary Maitani design of the original PEN series. This second digital model takes usability and functionality even further by incorporating diverse fresh features:
- Accessory port for accessories like viewfinder and microphones
- Two additional Art Filters (Diorama and Cross Process)
- Colour-boosting i-Enhance function
- AF tracking
- Remote slideshow control (via HDMI)
- HD movies in M-mode
Experience true framing freedom
Supplementing the hot shoe, a dedicated accessory port on the back of the camera extends flexibility. The first compatible device is included with the E-P2: an electronic viewfinder. Simply clip it on to enjoy bright, high-resolution depictions under all conditions and a 100% field of view. Tiltable by up to 90°, it not only is reminiscent of medium format camera viewfinders but also provides additional framing opportunities to promote shooting from unique perspectives. Of course, viewing picture information and adjustments as you go is a given. More accessory port attachments, such as an external microphone adapter for various microphone types, will also follow soon.
Click for creativity
A staggering range of imaging possibilities for almost limitless expression characterise this camera. Inspiring creativity, two new Art Filters join the six already introduced by the predecessor model. Use Diorama to create the illusion of a model world or flip colours around with Cross Process. Meanwhile, the new i-Enhance function has a decidedly human touch. Colours are enhanced to come out stronger than reality, thereby reflecting our memories more closely, which after all, are often larger than life. And so that every shot gets the fitting format, Olympus offers the choice of various aspect ratios as well as the chance to shoot multiple exposures. Also remaining on board is the level gauge, i-Auto mode, and the flattering e-Portrait option.
AF tracking joins the list of camera features, making the sharp capture of moving subjects such as playing kids or sports action easier than ever. And when it’s time to take a look at the results, just kick back and relax as high-definition slideshows and HD movies can be viewed using the remote of a TV set connected to the camera via HDMI.
A legacy of chic styling and SLR quality continues
The latest PEN inherits the inimitable looks and ultra-compact form of its critically-acclaimed sister model in addition to all its outstanding technologies. Photographers benefit from a defined high-end standard based on the Micro Four Thirds System that guarantees SLR quality results. The large pool of compatible interchangeable lenses provides tremendous versatility – from the ultra-slimline M.ZUIKO DIGITAL Pancake to the complete Four Thirds lens line-up (with adapter). Two new Micro Four Thirds lenses will also join their ranks during the first half of 2010: the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 (18-36mm*) super wide-angle zoom and M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6 (28-300mm*) high-power telephoto zoom lenses. Attachment of an external flash unit, such as the retro-styled Olympus FL-14, extends the possibilities even more.
Reliably crisp images are secured through the 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS sensor combined with a dust reduction system and high-performance in-camera image stabilisation giving protection against shake to 4 EV. And at the core of this PEN is the guarantor for fast, top-quality image processing, even at up to ISO 6400: the state-of-the-art TruePic V engine. The Live Control GUI simplifies operation while the effect of functions can be monitored in real time – on both the 7.6cm/3.0” HyperCrystal LCD and the 1,440,000 dot electronic viewfinder.
HD movie magic
Capable of recording AVI format movies in 30fps 1280x720p HD resolution and boasting immaculate PCM sound quality, the PEN also lets users discover the magic of movie making. Seven minutes of footage can be recorded in a single shot. Furthermore, many still photography functions and options, including the application of Art Filters, depth of field, angle of view and AF tracking, remain operational in movie mode. Another new perk is the ability to film using the M-mode, good news for those with a creative touch. And because shooting is possible using any attached lens, a whole new world of framing potential emerges. Users can also capture high resolution still shots while filming at the touch of a button.
The Olympus E-P2 builds on its coveted predecessor’s wealth of high-performance temptations. “With the first PEN, many journalists and experts already told us that we defined a totally new camera segment. Now we decided to add superb new features like an accessory port and new Art Filters. Basically, we made an already incredible camera even greater” explains Claudia Baehr, Senior Product Manager at Olympus Imaging Europa GmbH. This retro-cool model is finished in classic black and will become available from January 2010 at a price of €949 including the electronic viewfinder. An optional, matching black leather body jacket will also be on offer.
The Olympus E-P2 – main features:
Small & stylish design
- Extremely small and light-weight Micro Four Thirds System
- Stylish design with black metal finish
- Accessory port to clip-on electronic viewfinder and microphone adapter
SLR image quality
- 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor
- TruePic V image processor
- Built-in IS with max. 4 EV steps efficiency
- Adapter for all ZUIKO DIGITAL & OM lenses
- Live Control GUI for intuitive handling & real-time views of effects
- Automatic recognition of common scenes possible with i-Auto
- i-Enhance function to boost colours
- Clear skin with e-Portrait
- AF Tracking
- Two dials for easy handling
- Face Detection and Shadow Adjustment Technology
- 20 shooting modes (5 exposure, i-Auto, 14 scene modes)
Creativity & HD Movie
- HD Movie with stereo sound featuring depth of field and Art Filters now available in M-mode
- 8 Art Filters, Multi-Aspect ratios
- Multi Exposure function
- Art Filters can be applied to previously taken RAW images in the camera and with Olympus software
- Enhanced creativity with special lenses e.g. fisheye is available via Four Thirds lens adapter
Additional features of the Olympus E-P2:
- Based on the Micro Four Thirds Standard
- HDMI interface
- Linear PCM sound recording
- Level gauge
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interface
- 3fps with sequential shooting (max. 10 in RAW mode)
- ISO 100-6400
- Bracketing functions for white balance and exposure
- Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system
- Wide dynamic range in highly lit areas
- Simultaneous writing of RAW and JPEG
- SD memory card slot (SDHC compatible)
- High-speed data writing and lossless RAW compression
- 7.6cm/3.0” HyperCrystal LCD
- AE/AF lock functionality
- Auto gradation adjustment to prevent blown highlights and
- Remote release possible via the optional remote cable RM-UC1
- M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 super wide-angle zoom lens (first half of 2010)
- M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6 high-power telephoto zoom lens (first half of 2010)
- Leather strap in black
- Leather body jacket in black
* 35mm equivalent
Drool over more pictures of Olympus E-P2